In our previous misadventure I did a rewrite of the HTML for Bootstrap’s “Blog” template. We reduced the total markup size by a third — _more than half if you count the non-Bootstrap content area _— _and now it’s time to make a stylesheet to match _— and improve upon — the original.
I will be fully documenting this is the same as my rewrites of templates for clients as a freelance consultant.
Rather than make people sit on pins and needles, the CSS is written so let’s see it working!
Is wide open for easy access to the gooey bits and pieces, and as always I dumped a .rar of the whole shebang in there for you folks who want to play with it quick-and-easy.
I didn’t even try to colour match it 100%, and just eyeballed it. In fact none of the measurements are directly copied either since it seemed to be all pretty standard 1/1.5/2/2.5 REM increments.
The big fixes and changes are:
The way I design is done in the code, and I usually start out with the desktop layout first. I find the whole “mobile first” attitude to be utterly back-assward. Make the desktop layout first, once that’s complete narrow the browser window until it breaks, then make a media query to adjust from there. Lather, rinse, repeat until you’re down to around 256px. I really wouldn’t bother trying to support narrower than that anymore.
#bootstrap #html #framework #css