Find a comprehensive guide to possible side effects including common and rare side effects when taking Benicar (Olmesartan Medoxomil) for healthcare.
Arava is the medicine prescribed by specialist doctors to treat rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic arthritis. Arava slows down joint damage and relieves the symptoms of the disease like- joint tenderness, swelling, pain, and morning stiffness.
It is advised to take the dose prescribed by the doctor, and the doctor may advise you to take higher amounts in the first three days of starting treatment.
Arava is the medicine that interferes with the ability of WBCs (White blood cells) called lymphocytes to produce the disease response, leading to pain, inflammation, and joint damage. Click here to read more about Arava
Things to Consider before taking Arava:
Arava is a medicine that is not suitable for all, and before taking it, you must be extra careful.
You should not take Arava if you:
- Have a disease that can reduce your ability to natural defenses- bacterial or viral infections
- Have a disease of the blood
- Have serious skin disorders
- Have liver disease
- You are pregnant or planning to be pregnant
- You are using reliable birth control
- You are breastfeeding
- Ever had tuberculosis (TB)
- Have a low protein level in your blood
- Arava can affect the baby in the womb, so you must stop taking it if you plan for pregnancy.
- Do not take this medication while breastfeeding, as it can pass to breast milk and may adversely affect the breastfed baby.
- Do not take Arava if you are allergic to teriflunomide or any of the ingredients of the medicine.
The allergic reaction symptoms may include skin rashes, shortness of breath, swelling of the face, lip, or tongue.
- Arava is not meant for children or adolescents.
Are you getting the most from your treatment?
- To have a successful treatment get in touch with your doctor regularly so that the doctor may check your progress and the effectiveness of the medicine. The doctor may have some blood tests before and during the treatment.
- The medicine may have not an immediate effect on the inflammation. It can take a few weeks before you notice its effectiveness and months to get the treatment done.
- Your doctor will advise you not to consume alcohol while on medication. It may increase liver problems.
- The medicine has the potential to harm the baby in the womb:
- You must not get pregnant for at least two years if you are taking leflunomide. If you plan to have a baby after the treatment, you should discuss the same with your doctor. Arava can continue in your bloodstream for up to two years.
- If you are a male and you are on Arava, you should not get a woman pregnant for at least three months afterward. You should discuss with your doctor and confirm that Arava has been sufficiently removed from your body.
- There is a slight increase risk of cancer associated with the medicine, so discuss these with your doctor.
- While you are taking medicine, do not take vaccination without consulting your doctor. The drug lowers your resistance, and there are chances to get infected from the vaccine.
- Before undergoing any treatment, tell the doctor, dentist, pharmacist, or surgeon that you are on Arava medication.
- The treatment with Arava is typically long-term; continue to take medicine unless your doctor advises otherwise.
Side effects of Arava:
Besides the benefit of Arava, there are specific side effects; you should not be alarmed by the possible symptoms. There can be some severe side effects, but it’s not necessarily crucial that all will have a side impact.
Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following:
- Rashes itch skin
- Hair loss
- Weight loss
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
Yet these are the summon symptoms, but it’s good to keep your doctor informed. Diarrhea, rashes, weight loss, abdominal pain are some of the side effects of Benicar HCT (a medicine to treat high blood pressure)
Tell your doctor immediately, if you notice:
- Symptoms of severe infection- fever
- Severe pain in upper stomach, with nausea and vomiting
- Discoloration in the skin- becoming pale, if you feel tired, if you become prone to infection
- Painful skin rashes or sores in the mouth
- Worsening symptoms- cough, trouble in breathing
- Blister and bleeding in lips, eyes, mouth, nose, and genitals
Stop the medicine if you notice:
- Swelling of face, lips, mouth, or throat that may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing.
- Thickened patches of the red skin
- Yellowing of the skin and eyes
- Benicar HCT to treat high blood pressure:*
Benicar HCT, a medicine with a combination of angiotensin II receptor antagonist and a thiazide diuretic prescribed to treat hypertension (high blood pressure).
The drug may interact with- lithium, cholestyramine or colestipol, insulin or oral diabetes medicine, steroids, barbiturates, other blood pressure medicines, other diuretics, aspirin, and NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), muscle relaxers, or narcotics. Click here to know more about Benicar HCT.
- Side effects of Benicar HCT:*
It’s advisable to consult a doctor if you notice any difference while having Benicar. Some signs of allergic reaction to the drug may include: hives, breathing difficulty, swelling on the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Call your doctor if you have:*
- unexplained muscle aches, tenderness, unusual tiredness, or dark color urine
- Eye pain or vision problems
- Light-headed feeling
- Eye bruising or unusual bleeding
- Kidney problems
- Low level of sodium in the body- headache, confusion, slurred speech.vomiting, weakness
- High potassium- nausea, irregular heartbeat, loss of movement
- Low potassium- leg cramps, fluttering in chest, constipation, numbness, muscle weakness.
Click here to know more about Benicar HCT and its effect.
Though Arava is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, it should not be consumed without a doctor’s prescription, as there are side effects of the medicine that can adversely affect your body. Arava can harm an unborn baby, so it’s necessary to use suitable contraception so that you do not become pregnant.