In this article, you'll learn how to create an Ionic 4 app, add user authentication, and configure things to allow user registration.
Ionic allows you to develop PWAs and hybrid mobile apps. PWAs are web applications that run in a browser and allow for offline capabilities via service workers. They can be installed on desktops and mobile devices, just like you install apps on your smartphone. Hybrid mobile apps are like native mobile apps, except they’re built using web technologies.
If you don’t want to code along, feel free to grab the source code from GitHub!Get Started with Ionic 4
To set up your environment to develop with Ionic, complete the following steps:
npm install -g [email protected]Create an Ionic 4 Application
From a terminal window, create a new application using the following command:
ionic start ionic-login tabs
When prompted to install the Ionic Pro SDK, answer no.
It may take a minute or two to create your project, depending on the speed of your internet connection. The video below shows what this process looks like.
Once the process completes, start your Ionic 4 application.
cd ionic-login ionic serve
This command will open your default browser and navigate to
You can use Chrome’s device toolbar to see what the application will look like on an iPhone X.
Now let’s add a user login feature! Stop the
ionic serve process using
Ctrl+C before proceeding to the next step.
Schematics is a library from the Angular CLI project that allows you to manipulate projects with code. You can create/update files and add dependencies to any project that has a
package.json file. I created an OktaDev Schematics project that makes it possible to add authentication to an Ionic 4 app using one command.
ng add @oktadev/schematics
Before you run this command, you’ll need to create an OpenID Connect (OIDC) app in Okta. OIDC builds on top of the OAuth 2.0 authorization framework. It allows clients to verify the identity of the user and get their details. If you’re not familiar with OAuth 2.0 or OIDC, I recommend you read What the Heck is OAuth?
To integrate Okta’s Identity Cloud for user authentication, you’ll need to signup for a developer account.
Log in to your Okta developer account and navigate to Applications > Add Application.
Select Native and click Next.
Enter a name for your application, such as
Ionic 4 App. Add
[http://localhost:8100/implicit/callback](http://localhost:8100/implicit/callback) as a Login redirect URI. Click Done to finish creating the application.
Click Edit and add Logout redirect URIs, where the first should be your reversed Okta domain name, followed by
:/logout and the second is
[http://localhost:8100/implicit/logout](http://localhost:8100/implicit/logout). Click Save.
Near the bottom of your application’s settings, you will find a section titled Client Credentials. Copy the Client ID and paste it somewhere handy. You will need this soon.
Navigate to API > Authorization Servers and copy your issuer URI.
Now that you have a client ID and issuer URI, you can install Angular CLI, and add a user login feature using
npm i -g @angular/[email protected] ng add @oktadev/schematics --issuer=$issuer --clientId=$clientId
The video below shows how this command performs the following steps:
@oktadev/schematicsas a dev dependency
package.jsonthat defines plugins and a custom URL scheme
If you’d like to see the source code for the templates that are installed, you can find them on GitHub.
It’s pretty sweet that OktaDev Schematics automates all of this for you, don’t you think?!
Start your Ionic 4 application using
ionic serve. Your app now has a login button. Click on it to authenticate with Okta using OIDC.
It’s likely that you’re already logged into your Okta account, so you’ll be redirected back to your app and see a screen like the following.
If you click Sign Out and Sign In again, you’ll be prompted for your credentials.
After you’re redirected back to your app, you can click the User Info button to retrieve your user details from Okta.Add User Registration
Next, enable user registration. This will allow new users to create their own account. Click on the Users menu and select Registration.
Click Enable Registration.
On the subsequent page, click Save to complete the process of enabling user registration.
Now if you go back to your app, sign out, then sign in again, you’ll see a signup link at the bottom of the login form.
Click on the link and you’ll see a user registration form. Fill it out and click Register.
You’ll receive an email to verify you’re real. Click on the Activate Account once you receive it, and you should be good to go!Run Your Ionic 4 App on iOS
To generate an iOS project for your Ionic application, run the following command:
ionic cordova prepare ios
When prompted to install the
ios platform, answer yes. When the process completes, open your project in Xcode:
NOTE: If you don’t have Xcode installed, you can download it from Apple.
You’ll need to configure code signing in the General tab, then you should be able to run in Simulator. Below are screenshots of it running on an emulated iPhone X.Run Your Ionic 4 App on Android
The most important thing to know when running your Ionic app on Android is that you need Java 8 installed. Anything above Java 8 will not work. If you need to switch between Java SDK versions – like I often do – I recommend installing SDKMAN! I ran the command below to downgrade from Java 11 to Java 8 in my terminal window:
sdk use java 8.0.202-amzn
You can then generate an Android project.
ionic cordova prepare android
When prompted to install the
android platform, answer yes. After this process completes, open your
platforms/android directory as a project in Android Studio.
NOTE: You will need to have Android Studio 3.3+ installed and have run Tools > Create Command-line Launcher for the command above to work.
When I first tried this in Android Studio, I received a Gradle Sync error:
The minSdk version should be declared in the android manifest file.
In the right pane, it offered a link for me to click on to fix the issue. I clicked on it, then clicked Do Refactor.
I was prompted to update Gradle and clicked Update.
After these changes, my app showed up in the top toolbar.
When I tried opening the project in Android Studio 3.4, I was prompted to update Gradle again.
After doing so, I received the following error:
WARNING: The following project options are deprecated and have been removed: android.useDeprecatedNdk NdkCompile is no longer supported
I found an open issue in the Cordova Android project that shows how to fix it. Open
android/gradle.properties and turn off
You need to make one additional change for everything to work properly on Android. You need to set the
singleTask so the URL does not trigger a new instance of the app. Edit
platforms/android/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml to make this change:
<activity android:configChanges="orientation|keyboardHidden|keyboard|screenSize|locale" android:label="@string/activity_name" android:launchMode="singleTask" android:name="MainActivity" android:theme="@android:style/Theme.DeviceDefault.NoActionBar" android:windowSoftInputMode="adjustResize">
Now you should be able to click the play button in Android Studio to start your app.
You will be prompted to select an existing AVD (Android Virtual Device) or you can plug in your Android phone and use that. If you have neither, click the Create New Virtual Device Button.
Below are screenshots of the app running on a Pixel 2 AVD.What About Capacitor?
Capacitor is a project from the Ionic folks that offers an alternative to Cordova. Capacitor 1.0 was released last month. The OktaDev Schematics project provides support for Capacitor with a
--platform=capacitor flag. For example:
ng add @oktadev/schematics --platform=capacitor
NOTE: This integration uses Ionic’s native HTTP plugin for Cordova because the default HTTP from Capacitor uses a
capacitor://localhost origin header and Okta only supports
Thanks for reading ❤
If you liked this post, share it with all of your programming buddies!
In the current scenarios, e-commerce companies are very keen to create an online impact. The web and app development market are at its peak of popularity. There is a high demand for web and app developers with a growing number of websites. Angular...
In the current scenarios, e-commerce companies are very keen to create an online impact. The web and app development market are at its peak of popularity. There is a high demand for web and app developers with a growing number of websites. Angular has been a top choice for web development and it's the latest version AngularJS has gained popularity in the industry. This java script framework has created its prominent position in creating web apps.
Regardless of whether there are numerous different systems accessible for web development, AngularJS can support among them all. Since its introduction in the market, Angular has been creating waves in the market.
Angular js is a powerful framework that was developed by Google. It is used to build dynamic apps with power-packed features. It was first introduced in 2010 and created by developers at Google. This framework was created to simplify and remove the challenges in creating dynamic apps. It uses HTML, CSS, and java script to create dynamic single-page applications. Angular Js is inclusive of Mongo DB and it is a frontend fragment of Mean Stack. In the developer's community, Angular is considered as a reliable and fast Java script framework. Many popular apps like PayPal. You tube, Netflix, the guardian, Lego are built using the AngularJS framework.
In this blog, we are listing some compelling reasons to pick angular development to familiarize you with its potential
• Open-source framework: It is not a library but open-source frameworks that enable the developers to build well-performing single page web applications. Just after its launch, it became hugely popular among the developers and it is not going to come at a halt.
• Simplified MVC structure: Developers use AngularJS to build robust and interactive web applications. AngularJS framework uses MVC architecture to create interactive applications. AngularJS makes it easy for developers to create apps as they are only required to split the applications.
• Extensive community: As angular is built by Google, it is backed by a very large community of professionals. The Angular JS conferences of the professionals are held all over the world. Hackathons are also organized in IT communities that include some professional and skilled engineers who can help with the queries and questions related to Angular.
• Declarative code system: In Angular JS developers can create declarative patterns by using declarative paradigms. It enables developers to be less heavy, and easy to read. In this framework, the developers get data models that are not too complex to write that abolishes the need to use any getter/setters and with easy data manipulation.
• Two-way data binding: It is one of the impeccable features that makes Angularjs popular in the developers' community. It allows seamless projections of the models and data binding. In this framework, any changes in the user interface make an impact on the application objects. The developers are not required to fresh the cycle and that makes it vulnerable to bugs.
• Using directives: AngularJS makes use of Directives as the developers can build custom HTML tags that function as custom widgets and it can be possible using directives. Its implications are also in the case of the use of decorating components and manipulation of DOM elements in appealing ways.
• Enterprise-level testing: When using Angular JS there is no need for demanding any other supplementary framework or additional plugins. In the process, parts of applications are put in the angular framework which is not too complex for manipulation. In module separation, developers can load essential services in an effective way for the performance of automatic testing.
• Client-side situation: AngularJS mainly works at the client-side and it is fully compatible with both web and mobile browsers. It can function with any projects without the need for any backend notifications. The developers can easily use AngularJS for the front end of applications.
• Easy to use: AngularJS is rich with its features and facilitates developers to reduce any need for writing codes. It reduces the burden of developers by the application of MVC architecture and data models.
Best Mobile App Development Company India, WebClues Global is one of the leading web and mobile app development company. Our team offers complete IT solutions including Cross-Platform App Development, CMS & E-Commerce, and UI/UX Design.
We are custom eCommerce Development Company working with all types of industry verticals and providing them end-to-end solutions for their eCommerce store development.
Know more about Top E-Commerce Web Development Company
PHP is widely used open-source scripting language it helps in making dynamically easy your websites and web application. Mobiweb Technology is your best technical partner and offering you solution for any kind of website and application...
PHP is widely used open-source scripting language it helps in making dynamically easy your websites and web application. Mobiweb Technology is your best technical partner and offering you solution for any kind of website and application development. To hire PHP developer and web developer at affordable prices contact Mobiweb Technology via [email protected]